Friday 8 April 2016

Catharsis and Distancing

Dr. Carmen has mentioned a word in our tutorial class (6th April 2016)

Carthasis
What is catharsis?
From online sources, Catharsis is derived from the Greek word which translated as 'cleansing' or purification.

Dr. Carmen explained that Catharsis in a drama which means that people able to gain a feeling with a very strong relieve and release in the end. Usually, people will get a satisfy ending in that particular theater or drama.
In many years ago, many sucky life people will often spend money to watch a drama get catharsis. After they felt relieved and released, they able to resume sucky life.

Other words mentioned by Dr. Carmen were

Distancing and Alienation

Distancing and Alienation effect is totally different with catharsis. It won't simply gives the entertainment or gives direct messages to the audience. The theater with this effect will make the audience think.

Before Dr. Carmen teach us these words, she asked about our preferred drama, film or theater. A story with a happy or sad ending? A story with a complete flow or mysterious ending?

When I was a kid, I preferred a story with a complete and happy ending. I able to get the catharsis. I felt happy after getting the catharsis as I felt relieved.
However, I prefer a story with an incomplete or mysterious ending.
I able to think or imagine the ending I want. Actually, it is quite fun when you share your opinions with your friends.
I able to gain a lot of knowledge and view from the others since a different individual has a different interpretation.
Some people will like or dislike on the particular of film or drama.

For example, my friend actually felt catharsis after we went for the Baling Talk.
She said that she have such a long time did not attend to high standard drama performance. For me, the answer is no.
I felt that I need to know more about the story of Chin Peng. Hence, I went for searching the information through online sources and asked my father about the story of Chin Peng.

I think... Dr. Carmen's lesson able to let me differentiate the younger me and the older me.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me very happy because I like being able to make you differentiate the younger and older you :) That's a very nice way to say it, Fang Fang.

    ReplyDelete