Friday 4 March 2016

My favorite traditional festival

I remembered before Chinese New Year's break, Dr. Carmen told us we could blogging something about Chinese New Year
However, I have nothing to write about this year's Chinese New Year because it was too 'normal'.
Hence, I would like to write about my favorite festival.

There are a lot of traditional festivals among Chinese.
One of my favorites is Mid-year Autumn Festival aka Mooncake Festival.
This festival is held on 15th of the 8th month in Chinese Calender which is usually in early September of Gregorian Calender.

When I was little, I've read an awesome legend about the origin and development of this festival.

Once upon a time, there had ten suns appeared in the sky at the same time and causing a disaster for people. A hero named HOU-YI use bow to shoot down the suns. Suddenly, a woman appeared and stopped HOU-YI to shoot down all of the suns as people can't survive without the sun. YI left only one sun and became the King as a thankful from the people. YI married the woman who named CHANG-E. After YI became the king, he soon became conceited and tyrannical ruler. One day, he asked an immortal to give him an elixir to become live long without dying. However, CHANG-E took the elixir because she does not allow her kingdom ruled by a cruel king. In last, CHANG-E fled to the moon and became the spirit of the moon. Therefore, people offer a sacrifice to CHANG-E on every lunar fifteenth of August.

The reason why I love this festival is not about the legend but I able to gather with my friends and have fun with them.
In 2013, I held a party for this festival in my house.
That year's mooncake festival was one of my happiest moment ever!

The beautiful lanterns


BBQ party

We even prepared a Kong-ming lantern 




Of course,  the most important character must not be forgotten in this festival--- Mooncake!!
This is the best mooncake I ever tasted in my life!
It is very special because the shape is different from original mooncake
But, trust me
This is tasted better than any mooncake
My families often went to KLUANG to buy this mooncake for me
Luckily Batu Pahat is near to Kluang
Haha





1 comment:

  1. WOW! The mooncake is really unique! What is the shape? Does the shape have any significance? What about the 3 holes on top? What are they for?

    I am soooo intrigued because I love mooncakes and my mom always makes her own mooncakes for us. Lately though, due to health reasons, have to eat less because they have a lot of sugar and fat! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete